My family, quilting, gardening,
woodworking and friends
are all things I might talk about

Behind My Picket Fence.....

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dog Tired

Just so you know, I’m watching the Twins play baseball as I write this.   MY JOE JUST HIT A 3-RUN DOUBLE!!!!!    That’s my boy!  (i wish i had a son like that.  not that my boys aren’t wonderful but still - they don’t earn $23,000,000 a year.  I’ll bet Joe buys his mother lots of good stuff.  Not that I’m materialistic but what’s wrong with a couple more pieces of fabric or a new perennial flower or 2?)  BTW, did you know that “my Joe” Mauer got more votes than any other player in both American & National leagues for the All-Star Game?  More than you wanted to know I’m sure.  I have lots of other useless info running around my brain.  I could be like your “go to” source for advice.  The phone lines are open…………………….

A week or so ago me & hubs were hard at work laying a brick landing at the bottom of our deck stairs.  Naturally it was the hottest day of the summer, like in the 90’s and about 90% humidity.  Let me tell you I wasn’t just “glowing”, I was truly sweating!  When our little Baxter gets all hot & sweaty from running in the fields, he looks like I felt:

DSC01403

He’s ok – thanks for asking.

It was a grand day today.  AND it was baby Woolie Penny’s birthday (#50).  Yes, she’s the last of us to pass the 1/2 century mark.  How’s that Penny?  Half-century?  HA, HA, HA.  In my mind I’m younger than Penny but apparently that isn’t how we keep score.  Well it should be!

We met at JV’s lovely home on the lake and weather was perfect in the 70’s and very small breeze.  Ah.h.h.h.  But before we get  outside, we were greeted at the door by Tiny -------

DSC01404

JV’s hubby brought down that big guy on a hunting trip to Alaska last year.  Wowser.  Glad he had a gun with a great big bullet!

I didn’t take a lot of pictures – I get so distracted – but this little footstool JV made just makes me think of Little Miss Muffet.  Don’t you think?

DSC01407

After a great salad and warm, fresh bread we headed out to the patio for a little show & tell.

Kari, New Leaf Stitches,  showed us a couple things that will be in her book that comes out next summer.  Wish I could show those pictures, but you’ll have to wait for the book!

Jean & a friend whipped this up at the lake last weekend.  I thought the fabric choices were really fun.  In case you don’t recognize her, that’s Jean behind the quilt………..

DSC01409

Jean always has show & tell – apparently she uses her time wisely…..This one just came back from the quilter.  It’s going to a baby in the South Pacific.  Lucky baby, I’d say.

DSC01416

Jean (again!!) inherited some grandmother’s flower garden blocks from her great-grandmother.  157 blocks.  Every single one is pretty and unusual fabrics which were no doubt scraps.  If I know Jean, she’ll have it put together next month!  Naw, not even Jean could do it that fast.

DSC01413

JV showed us a quilt that she’s worked on now & then and has a bit of hand-quilting left to do.  VERY NICE, don’t you agree?

DSC01432

Let the Party Begin ------------

DSC01419

No, no, no, no, we did not drink that beer.  Someone fished it out of a waste receptacle behind a bar in a very dark & scary alley.  The beer bottle was there so that we could play spin the bottle!  Not a kissing game, not a drinking game.  When the bottle pointed at you, you had to read a piece of wisdom for how to know when you’re past your prime.  And just in case Penny didn’t realize it, we made this handy little reminder for her to wear.  (can you say, “how fast did that come off as soon as she got away from us”????)

DSC01424

We also played “button, button, who’s got the button”.  I really think the less I say about that the better.  There was some confusion (unrelated to that empty beer bottle) about rules.  It may have been a matter of untrained actors.  It’s currently under investigation.

The first gift is the gift that keeps on giving.  It’s the gift you receive when you turn 50 and can’t wait for one of your friends to turn 50 so you can unload it on her.  Sweet!  Penny looks thrilled, doesn’t she?  Tee hee, hee.

DSC01423

The rule was that we should each make a small (under 6”) pillow for Penny.  The 1st rule of this group was that there would be no rules, so Jean made a table mat with “pennies”.  Huh.  It really worked out perfectly when we gave her a jar full of penny candy.  We really, really wanted to find some wax lips.  Remember those?  Also wanted bubble gum cigars or candy cigarettes.  Which are probably against the law.  As they should be.

 DSC01425

The “conformists” of the group tossed all their pillows in an old metal colander.  Penny had to guess who’d made each one.  Nothing like putting a girl on the spot.

DSC01426

I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been working on this and not watching the game closely, but the Twins are behind the White Sox 8-6 in the 8th.  I suppose I’d better go pay attention and try to will that score to change.  We’ll see how that works……………

4 comments:

Holly said...

You all seem to have so much fun!! And accomplish so much too!! I just sit in my sewing room, touching my fabric, looking at patterns, thinking of all the things I want to make...and them I'm tired and go to bed. Pitiful..

sandy said...

What a fun group! Thanks for sharing!

Wendy said...

That moose's head is massive!!! (Is it a moose?) I didn't realize they were sooooo big! (can you tell me don't have moose's in England...lol!) I read 'you' in Karens farmhouse woolens news letter...LOVE you soooo much...hehehe! Hope you're well, you need to write more because you always make my day with tales of your antics!
Take care , Love Wendy x x

Marie said...

Looks like you girls had a great time! All those grandmother's garden squares are beautiful--can't wait to see that quilt.
Keep us laughing!
Love,
Marie