My family, quilting, gardening,
woodworking and friends
are all things I might talk about

Behind My Picket Fence.....

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Poetic License

Long, long ago in a land far, far away, lived a number of beautiful, intelligent and talented women.

You may want to take a moment for a reality check here.  This is after all my blog and I can say pretty much whatever I want and call it “Poetic License”.  I don’t think there are blog police out there evaluating the accuracy of my statements.  My own sainted Mother was not always accurate in assessing my truthfulness.  I leave it to you to decide where I’m invoking “Poetic License”.

Now, where was I?  Oh ya, blah, blah, beautiful women, blah, blah.  Also known as the Woolies.  This is not a quilt group altho all of us quilt.  This is not a garden group altho all of us have gardens (I’m sure you’ll soon have one Karen) nor is it even a woodworking group even tho we all have wood in our homes.  It did take us a while to determine a plausible excuse er, reason to be together.  Well, we all like wool so that was to be our common denominator.  Obviously then, we would be The Woolies.  We did draw up a lengthy list of rules & goals for the group.  The final rule was that we would have no rules.  This works very well for us as we are morally opposed to rules and goals & deadlines.  We did briefly consider naming our group the Dull Needles but we felt it might have a negative connotation and tend to lead us into depression thereby causing us to have no fun when we got together to do nothing.  I know you’re with me on this.

We met this month at the  home of yours truly.  Since it had been about a year since I’d cleaned my house, it did take many weeks of effort to be ready.  Thankfully, I have now done that little cleaning chore for this year.  Whew! 

September means back to school here in MN/ND land so that was my theme.  Do y’all remember the Fischer Price School Bus?  I found our old one and it was the centerpiece and that kinda got the ball rolling on this party.  First of all I wanted to make sure everyone knew they were at the right party so I made it easy for ‘em:

image

DSC00616

I realized of course that the set up of the scene was terribly wrong.  I quickly moved the Weebles from the FRONT of the bus to BEHIND the bus.  We don’t want anyone to think I’d intentionally run over the wee ones.  Goodness gracious.  Now, you might notice the little chalkboard – I made one for each of my guests that day.  JM actually USED hers to take a couple notes!  Way to go JM!

DSC00619

Whoa, back up the truck – that was NOT what JM was writing.  I wrote that.  She wrote other important stuff.

image

Keeping with the school theme, I served an apple cake with hot caramel sauce.  It is super easy to make and let me warn you that you’ll want seconds of this one…….

Fresh Apple Cake

4 C. chopped apples

2 eggs

2 C. sugar

2 tsp. cinnomon

2/3 C. oil

1/2 C. chopped nuts

2 C. flour

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking soda

Put apples in bowl & break eggs over them.  Stir.  Add sugar, oil, cinnamon & nuts.  Combine flour, salt & baking soda and add to mixture.  Stir well.  Bake in 9X13 pan at 350 for about 45 min.

There now, wasn’t that easy??

Caramel Sauce

1/2 C. sugar

1/2 C. brown sugar

1/2 C. butter

1/2 C. cream (half & half)

1 heaping Tbsp. flour

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine all ingredients, except vanilla.  Bring to a boil & cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until thickened, stirring as necessary.  Add vanilla.  Serve over cake.  Top with whipped cream.  If you want this to be a diet recipe, leave off the whipped cream.  Ya, like that’s going to help……….

Now hang with me here ‘cuz I’ve got some serious show & tell for you today:

DSC00623

DSC00627

A couple embroidery on linen projects by Jean plus a small stitchery she made and then made a frame for:

DSC00624

This cutie is Jean’s too:

DSC00628

Ms. JM has finished her wool garden.  It is so awesome!

DSC00641

And this adorable mini – those little blocks are 2 1/2”.  Too cute for words.

DSC00639

And this little stitchery she’s working on:

DSC00640

Now here’s our favorite machine quilter girl with all kinds of wonderful goodies:

DSC00633

DSC00635 

Penny, did I ever tell you how much I  LOVE RED QUILTS?  It would look so great in my home.  Hint.

DSC00637 DSC00636

Criminy, I almost forgot Ms. D’s show & tell:

DSC00629 I know, it looks like I’m hurting the little darling, but I assure you she was very happy.  There was a set of 2, but I didn’t get a picture of her other granddaughter.

One more thing.  On my last post, something happened to son #2 and his body was removed.  You can’t really tell from just seeing his arm how handsome he really is so I’m giving you all one more chance to be amazed & astounded at the perfectness of son #2.

DSC00642

You’ll have to refer back to my last post to get a gander at son #1.  He doesn’t usually wear a beard but has just returned from a fishing & camping  trip in the boundary waters.

You’ll be happy to know that I’ll talk about our daughter & granddaughter – the Divine Miss O – another time.

OK, that’s it.  I’m done.  This post got really, really long so I don’t expect anyone to read the whole thing.  But the pictures are good.  Probably.

Ms. Faye

12 comments:

Holly said...

I don't care how you got the name, but "The Woolies" is divine!!! Again, I want to join...how much is a ticket to MN every month or so? You guys have so much fun (and get so much done!) Since you don't really know me, I guess I could bring all my past projects and you'd think they were new!!!

Love the yearly housecleaning, yes siree, I can relate!! I do it all the time actually, but someone always messes it up!!

thanks for the great comment on my blog! I loved it!!!

Your family is beautiful!

Holly

Chatty Kathy~Palmetto Prims said...

Ms. Faye, I so much enjoy your blog. I always leave with a smile on my face. Thanks for the recipe too. Love apples!!!

donna said...

Did you change your blog comment setting to pop up recently? I can not tell you how thrilled I am to be able to leave comments. I adore your blog. For some unknown reason, when the comment section is embedded below the post, I can't leave comments. I know I'm rambling. Sorry.

Linda said...

Faye........I want to join your group too, you gals have way too much fun. Love seeing all of the pics.
I just used up all of my apples today making apple crisp so as soon as I get some more I am making your recipe.
Linda

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

That's it! When I found the Yellow Farmhouse I wanted to move to MN. But I resisted and made myself happy here in NE. Now that you have joined the worlds of bloggers, I MUST find a way to live in MN when the woolies meet so I can party crash. I have always wanted to crash a party and since we ALL know you have no rules, you can't stop me! :-) I love wool and I have wood and quilts in my house too! And I promise I will only eat my fair share of the apple cake.

Hurry up back with another really really long post please!!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Wonderful post and great recipe that sounds just yummy:)

Those quilts are just fantastic and the stitchies too!

Love reading your blog and always try to leave a comment.
Rondell

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

LOL - you are much too clever for me. I am not sure I want to crash the party anymore!! Well - maybe just a little. I'll bring some prims but while you are fighting over them, don't be surprised if some woolie projects go missing. How am I doing?

:-)

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I think you did unwittingly come up with a solution ~ we'll meet in the middle for Mexican!! Margarita's anyone?

Jan said...

Thanks for the wonderful start to my week! You write beautifully and always make me LOL! I am soooooooo a "Wollies Wannabe!" The recipe looks awesome ... I've copied it and will definitely try it out on my honey!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Very clever party theme, I am now wondering where my school bus set is hiding!!!
I think you woolies are just so wise as well as soooo... talented. You know that rules squelch your creativeness. That must be part of the secret to your success......or maybe its the water...well whatever you gals make for the best show.
Love your new pumpkin peeking out in one of your pictures.
I am going to share a similar Apple cake recipe, it has the sauce and everything, I just need to get myse;f to the farmers market for the apples.

Tootsie said...

oh girl...you and the woolies are so very talented! I wish I had a group of ladies around this area that shared my interest in such things...I have been doing the "old lady" things since I was 12 years old...knitting, crocheting, x-stitch....junkin, creating...yea...not your typical teenager type things...
and then I found beer...and that's a whole nother story! lol....just kidding...didn't want anyone to think I was boring! lol
I often sit and think about how I would love to make quilts...but the amount of work and skill that goes into them is just intimidating!

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the robust RMM tool for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central remote desktop
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!